Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Internet Explorer 6-Boo!

Reading the article "YouTube Puts Another Nail in IE 6 Coffin" reminded me of when we were in class together a couple of weeks ago and warned not to use Internet Explorer if we wanted to use Google Docs. This article told about how now not only issues with Google Docs are hopefully discouraging people from using Internet Explorer 6, but also YouTube will no longer fully support and work as well with this very outdated browser.  I feel like many people out there don't realize the importance of a high-performing browser, or even that there can be a difference in Internet experience based on what browser is used. I first learned about how much of a difference a browser can make when I was an undergrad student at CMU and worked at the library reference desk.  We were trained to troubleshoot patrons' computer issues, and oftentimes we helped them do what they needed to do just by suggesting that they try a different browser.  Even today I occasionally give this same tip to my students, who are surprised when this simple change sometimes fixes their problem.  Anyway, I think it is good more people are becoming aware that better browsers are available to them besides Internet Explorer 6. Hopefully they will take Google's cues to stop using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment