Thursday, January 21, 2010

Creative Commons Assignment

I just completed the Creative Commons assignment. I didn't mind the videos and first set of links that were about CC.  I found the plagiarism part pretty frustrating because if you actually set out to read everything there was a TON of info to read, like about the various cases.  The information needed for the "test" was not anything I didn't already know.  Oh well... But regarding the CC materials that we were supposed to check out, I thought the video and various presentations provided very helpful explanations.  I didn't ever know what the difference between a "C" and "CC" was before.  I will be on the lookout now for for licenses on things I see online. And I will be careful to cite things that I use in the proper way. I especially liked the clarity about how to cite images that was shown in the article How to Cite and Use Creative Commons Resources by Preetam Rai, because I borrow images often to insert into my instructional power points.

Some of this CC stuff is still a little confusing to me... I am not exactly sure how one goes about getting the CC license for something that they want others to be able to use.  Is it sufficient to just write my own "CC"  next to it, or do I have to go through some procedure to officially obtain the license for my own work?  Maybe I missed this somewhere in one of our readings...

2 comments:

  1. I have watched the videos for the Creative Commons license. I, too, thought it was very interesting. I didn't read the packet about the copyright laws because of its length. I do have to do the part about plagiarism. I thought the class about the Creative Commons licenses brought some clarity to the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you found my post useful. As for you question on how you get a CC license on your content, you can refer to this page
    http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions

    Feel free to email me if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete